Too soon to panic? Man United see problems exposed in Hull City defeat

Midway through the second half at MKM Stadium, the travelling Manchester United fans were informed by the announcer that most of their return trains had been cancelled
It prompted a huge cheer from the Hull City supporters before breaking into a chant of “you’re going home in an Uber.” However, on their way back Manchester, there was a lot to ponder on the journey.
United were out-fought and out-muscled as Hull began their first Premier League campaign for nine years with a deserved 2-0 win. It was their first league win over United since 1974.
United manager Michael Carrick’s team conceded twice
United manager Michael Carrick’s team conceded twice from set-pieces during a dire first half and then failed to muster any kind of attacking threat to drag themselves back into the game.
In the 96th minute, goalkeeper Konstantinos Tzolakis collected another aimless punt forward from left back Luke Shaw. The roar which followed was almost as loud as celebrations after goals from Hull defenders Semi Ajayi and Nobel Mendy. It was only topped by the cancellation of the Manchester trains.
While it was an opening day to forget for United, it was one to remember for Hull, whose last top-flight game here ended in a 7-1 defeat to Tottenham in May 2017.
I think the noise speaks for itself, said
“I think the noise speaks for itself,” said Hull defender Lewie Coyle, who grew up in the city and now captains the club.
“Before we went to bed last night, we couldn’t have dreamt it any better. It’ll be a shock to people, I’m not saying it’s how I thought it would go, but this team’s got something special in terms of character, resilience, and we know what we’re doing.”
It was the opposite for United.
Their opening weekend began on Friday night with news that a £70 million deal has been agreed for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba. But any optimism about what this season might hold was swept away during a disastrous opening 45 minutes.
The start was reasonably bright
The start was reasonably bright. But as Hull became more aggressive and began to play with more intensity and purpose, United wilted. The first goal, scored by Ajayi, came from a corner. The second, headed in by Mendy, came from a free-kick.
Oli McBurnie — awkward and physical — caused problems when he peeled off onto 19-year-old Ayden Heaven rather than engage in a battle with Harry Maguire. He was unlucky not to get a goal.
At the other end, United could only trouble Tzolakis once through forward Bryan Mbeumo. As season-openers go, it was as bad as it gets.
You could argue the second half was even
You could argue the second half was even worse. Marcus Rashford, wearing No.9, came on at halftime for his first competitive appearance for United in 618 days, but the expected attacking onslaught never arrived.
Hull, who finished sixth in the Championship last season despite having the fourth-worst defence in the division, were comfortable. United were restricted to just five shots on target over the 90 minutes. One of those was from outside the penalty area from Maguire in the 84th minute as desperation began to consume the Carrick’s players.
Hull were fantastic, capitalising on the buzz of promotion to create an atmosphere which knocked United out of their rhythm.
McBurnie joked in a preseason interview that he
McBurnie joked in a preseason interview that he thought Hull were “already down” given the way they have been spoken about over the summer as relegation fodder. Not on this evidence.
“We’re not just here to make the numbers up, we’re here to stay in this division,” Coyle said.
Coyle and his teammates walked off to chants of “you’re getting mauled by the Tigers” and “can we play you every week.”
After clapping the away fans — some presumably
After clapping the away fans — some presumably checking their Uber apps — United’s players disappeared down the tunnel to survey the wreckage of a humbling opening day defeat.
Baleba will add energy and athleticism in midfield, but he won’t fix everything.
As the game drifted towards its conclusion, fans on social media argued about whether a new left-back or new centre-back should be the priority before the transfer deadline. Others want a striker or a winger. If nothing else, it shows that there are deficiencies of varying seriousness almost everywhere.
Dorgu was lifeless as a forward. Summer signings Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans looked rushed and flustered. Bruno Fernandes, so influential last season, was largely anonymous. If nothing else, there are questions to be answered.
Carrick insisted afterwards that it’s not the time to rip up the plan.
It’s hugely disappointing of course it is, he
“It’s hugely disappointing of course it is,” he said. “We came here to win, so to not take anything away is hugely disappointing. It’s not more than that, not less. We have to soak it up and come back stronger.”
It was a calm response on a disastrous day, although United’s head coach made sure to add that he understood the seriousness of the result.
“We just don’t all have to shout and scream and create some chaos,” he said. “Calmness doesn’t mean there’s no emotion in it. It hurts, of course, but it doesn’t change the direction of where the football club is going.”
Whether it was by train or taxi,
Whether it was by train or taxi, that will be the discussion between United fans as they made the 100-mile trip back to Manchester. Is defeat to Hull a bump in the road or an early warning sign of what is set to be a difficult campaign?
Carrick is choosing not to panic. Those United fans left to make the long journey home in an Uber might feel differently.
Source: www.espn.com



